Saturday, April 22, 2017

Student Teaching Week 15: The End of the Beginning

As I reflect on this past week and my experiences I can finally say that it is all worth it. There have been many bumps along the road over the past year. The struggle has been real at times. However, that is the journey and it is what keeps things interesting. We learn best from our struggles and failures. It is okay to fail as long as you don't make that mistake again.

Students have pushed my limits and provided many interesting situations. When faced with these situations you need to do what you think is right. I have had several discussions with Mr. Kessler and Ms. Spurrier on how to handle these hairy situations. At the end of the day we need to be able to live with ourselves. If we handle situations the best we can and in the best interests of our students we did no wrong. It is important that we are also mindful of how students look up to us. As educators and role models we need to ensure we are being positive role models and showing students the right way to do things in life. Whether it is volunteering after hours or attending church on sunday morning, they are watching.
Next Year's Seniors.

This Year's Freshman.


During the last period, of the day, yesterday my students threw a surprise going away party for me and thanked me for my time and commitment. At that moment I finally realized that these students do appreciate my effort and actually like me as a teacher. Students pay attention to us and what we do more than we realize.

I asked a retired ag teacher for some advice because I am just starting out. He said to teach them what they need to know after graduation. Teach them how to work hard and pay their taxes. But more importantly make it fun. Be a positive impact on their life and teach them some content along the way. I focused on taking a step back and enjoying my last week student teaching. Harassing some students and laughing with them the next minutes. That's what they enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment