Sunday, April 9, 2017

Student Teaching Week 13: The Importance of Hands on Reinforcement

Yesterday I was given the opportunity to take a group of my freshman to the Penn State Spring Pig and Lamb Sale. We have already completed units on livestock judging, raising pigs, and are now are finishing up our unit on raising project lambs. This alignment in experiences made the sale experience extra valuable to my students' learning. 

Upon arriving I instructed my group to pick out two pigs and two lambs that they would like to purchase. They were to discuss their choices with their classmates and then share their thoughts with Mr. Kessler and I. I thought they did a really good job sorting both species and had respectable reasons given their experience level. 

Another teachable moment was when I showed them how to carry pigs properly. You do not want to be responsible for hurting someones $200 show pig. I explained the importance behind this concept. There was slight hesitation in washing them up and helping carry them to the buyers' trucks, but the students rose to the occasion like they normally do. I was impressed with how well these freshman boys did carrying pigs that were probably half their weight.
The boys cleaning up the pigs for the sale.
On the ride back from State College, I began to reflect on the days events. I couldn't help but think how cool it is to see students take interest in agriculture. These students gave up the first day of fishing season just so they could go to this pig/lamb sale and learn. These days, many of our students would rather stay penned up in the basement playing video games. Seeing kids take the initiative to go on these trips is really satisfying as an educator. Maybe I am reaching some of them? Getting and keeping our students involved outside of the school day is one way we can keep them out of trouble.
It is becoming more and more apparent that teaching agriculture is a lifestyle and not just a job. I look forward to many more trips like this.

1 comment:

  1. Proud of how you have embraced this experience and are continually growing!

    LR

    ReplyDelete