Sunday, February 26, 2017

Student Teaching Week 7: Maybe I Can Do This Whole Teaching Thing

Image result for self directed learning
http://www.aeseducation.com/blog/2012/10/self-directed-learning

As we approach the halfway point of the student teaching experience, I am finally starting to feel that I am catching my stride. Planning for class is becoming much easier, my rapport with my freshmen has drastically improved, and I am getting to see agricultural education beyond the school walls. Teaching is much more work than I had ever imagined, but it is so rewarding. (Especially Ag Ed) We get to see our students develop throughout their whole high school career. Other teachers do not get to see the great projects these students have outside school and therefore do not truly get to know them.

This past week, I not only got to teach livestock judging but I was able to help tag my students fair steers. Visiting my students, meeting their families, and seeing the passion for their projects is the coolest experience I have had yet. It is the best part of agricultural education in my opinion. I see SAE as being the cadillac of self driven learning. Students pursue projects that align with their interests and passions. As educators it is our job to steer them in the right direction and provide advice when necessary. Students seeing adults take interest in their projects is the ultimate motivator.

Image result for motivation
https://www.pinterest.com/motivationalv/motivation/
As I look into the upcoming week I need to find new ways to push my more advanced welders. I am toying around with the idea of a small project for students who complete all the welds earlier than expected. I have several ideas for small projects they could complete. Is it better to move onto a project or spend more time mastering the basics? I guess it depends on your definition of mastery. I believe incorporating a small project would help with student motivation and rapport. However, which better prepares them for a career in welding? I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but I have time. Teaching is not easy by any means but I am already seeing the rewards through my students.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE seeing you identifying where you are seeing growth and where you want to see improvement! Proud of you! Keep doing great things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could look at building at Hand Truck...see email I sent.

    DF

    ReplyDelete