Sunday, February 5, 2017

Student Teaching Week 4: The "Speak Week" Experience



Image result for motivation meme
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/motivational-memes/

If you read my blog from last week, you would know that I have been challenged this semester with motivating my freshman class. Over the past two weeks, I have spent a lot of time trying to determine what I can do to create a productive environment. Last weekend, I designed and decided to implement what I call "Speak Week", not quite the same as "Greek Week." Students were split from their talkative buddies and placed into teams. These teams were given the chance to compete at the beginning of class each day for 10 minutes. Scores were tallied and the winning teams were allowed to have a pizza party in friday's study period.

This competition drastically helped classroom management because teams would loose points for misbehavior. I feel that this has helped a lot with the class rapport. The students really enjoyed the competition and activities in general. But were do I go from here? I know for a fact that I need to keep providing activities that allows students to get up and moving. I also need to wean them off of the pizza prize. They will finish presenting their prepared speeches this week and begin a livestock judging unit.

Image result for inspiring students
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/365495325982765197/
Looking into this next week, I need to keep it fun and engaging while being stern with those students who haven't put the work in on their speech. I have kids with tons of potential that put forth little effort and kids with less potential that work their hearts out. As an educator, I want all my students to reach their full potential. I have to continue learning through experimentation on how to motivate my students best.

2 comments:

  1. I had a great visit with you on Friday Matt! You are doing some really great things! I suggest making sure you emphasize how the material you are teaching/they are learning is relevant and applicable. Why should they learn this? What immediate application could they get from it? How can it impact their future?

    Looking forward to hearing more on the different strategies you use!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I would echo Dr. Rice by saying #KIR with kids by showing them the REAL relevance to their lives!

    DF

    ReplyDelete