Sunday, February 12, 2017

Student Teaching Week 5: Finding Your Stride


Image result for identity
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/glimpse-identity-disability

As week five comes to an end, I finally feel like I am starting to find myself as a teacher. When I began this experience I was not sure what my identity would be in the classroom. I have little experience actually teaching. The challenges and obstacles are continually shaping me. I have heard many teachers talk about how important flexibility is but never realized just how big it is. We need to be able to make the change to plan B, C, or D at any given moment, especially now with snow days. These changes happen within the class period as well. What if the internet does not work? What if the supplies for the next unit have not come in yet? What if half of the class does not show up?

It is important that we have that "side shooter" in our pocket and can teach the subject matter in several different ways. This all goes back to being prepared and forward thinking as an educator. For example, I have several different games planned to review cattle anatomy in my livestock judging unit.

Through this experience so far, I am finding that students will respect you if you respect them. Don't talk down to them. If they need an intervention, do it separately. Don't embarrass them in front of the class. Be supportive. When they need chewed out do it, but let them know you're doing it because you care. When they fix the problem give them a pat on the back.

Image result for flexibility
http://www.lrqconsulting.com/2015/02/13/grow-with-flexibility/
As you know from reading previous blogs, I have had my fair share of struggles managing my freshman class. I feel that I have made huge gains so far by simply respecting my students, making learning fun, and showing that I care about their future. The way you react to the struggles shows just who you are as a teacher and an individual. Change is slow but it is so worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Matt, it is evident your growth as a teacher. You are thoughtful in your preparation and presentation. Your words of advice to your peers is full of wisdom beyond your years. Super proud of you!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog post. As long as we are cherishing every instructional minute and maximizing that time with students, good things are happening (even if it was not on the plan!!)

    DF

    ReplyDelete