Sunday, January 22, 2017

Student Teaching Week 2: Shifting Gears (without burning up the clutch)

Image result for truck gear shift
www.gtplanet.net
I have always heard that no two classes are the same. I've heard this from both advisors and current/past teachers. It was never doubted in my head, but I had difficulty visualizing exactly what it looked like in the classroom. Differences can be attributed to the obvious like class size. However, there are so many other factors that contribute to the class characteristics. Some of these include learning aptitude, learning styles, previous knowledge, genuine interest, and previous experiences. As teachers, it is important that we recognize these differences from class to class and are prepared to shift gears into the type of instruction that will make our students successful.

My 5th period freshman class is very rambunctious and large in number. This presents the challenge of keeping them on task. After teaching them a few days I have noticed that activities work well with them. (especially ones that get them moving) Because of this I have planned out some hands-on activities for the next couple days.

My 6th period freshman class could not be any more different. They are similar in number, but totally different in action. This group is much more reserved and laid back. This all sounds fine and dandy from a class management perspective. However, they can be hard to motivate. This past week I have taken time to talk with each of them to develop a positive rapport. This seems to be working. The quiet kids are beginning to come out of their shell and the "too cool for school" kids are beginning to contribute.
Students' Visual Representation of the Creeds 1st Paragraph.

Although these two classes are the exact same in content, I need to prepare for them in somewhat different ways. I've even noticed myself wording questions and making adjustments from class to class. This upcoming week, I’m challenging myself to challenge my students through their diverse learning styles.

3 comments:

  1. It's almost like we have to wear different hats for each class we teach. I notice more of a shift between age groups. The older students are calmer and perhaps more understanding of what is expected of them while the younger students are a little more energized and need more hands-on activities to keep them focused. Hopefully we can adjust as needed for our students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, great reflection. Sounds like you are identifying and adapting to the needs of each class. You'll find this gets easier as you develop student rapport. Keep doing good things!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, Excellent job of one specific observation and identifying an area of growth for one of week of the 15 week internship.

    DF

    ReplyDelete