Saturday, January 14, 2017

Student Teaching Week 1: Adapting to the life of a Teacher

What a week it was! Starting our student teaching experience at The PA State Farm Show for Mid-winter convention was inspiring for my entire cohort of student teachers. Seeing students compete in the demonstration speeches and safety quiz bowl, on Wednesday, was also really cool to see. Friday was a big step for me in finding who I am as a teacher. My cooperating teacher was out for the day due to a doctors appointment. This left me in charge of the class/shop for the day, plus all the routine things.
The Quiz Bowl Finals.

I was nervous for this day which doesn't happen too often. Would the students behave? Would they be productive? Would they respect me? Do I know how to grade adequately and enter their grades correctly? These are just some of the thoughts going through my mind that day.

The students came to work. (Maybe because it was the last day to get their assignments done and turned in.) That is a pretty favorable possibility. The students being focused on getting assignments done probably helped diminish the amount of goofing off. There were some small misbehavior s that needed nipped in the butt but nothing major. Work periods were mad chaos with students working on multiple projects all over the shop and me trying to record their grades in, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Students giving their demonstration speech on floral arrangements.

I feel that I have more of an identity in the shop now and will continue to build upon Fridays experience. Looking into next week, I want to find if there are differences between me as a teacher in the shop and me as a teacher in the classroom. I have put a lot of time and effort into making learning more engaging through planning, so I also look forward to see if it pays off.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a busy first week! I will be interested to hear what your findings are of how you approach classroom versus laboratory, management and instruction. I'm excited to watch you develop over the next 14 weeks!

    LR

    ReplyDelete