Sunday, November 27, 2016

AEE 412 Weekly Writing #10: Classroom Management

It seems like common sense that in order to facilitate efficient and meaningful learning we must first nail down the concept of classroom management, right? But what factors must we consider to lead a positive classroom environment that will accomplish this? After completing the reading this week I have taken time to reflect on the biggest challenges I see myself facing.

Competency and Enthusiasm
When the teacher is competent in the subject area being taught, students are more apt to listen and pay attention. I think teacher interest comes into play with this as well. I know that when I teach a lesson on something I am interested in (swine, engines, etc.), students see my enthusiasm and reflect that enthusiasm. Students also know when that enthusiasm is fake and over the top. I think the key here is generating that authentic interest/enthusiasm for those subjects where it doesn’t come natural. Think about how teaching this information will help students be successful. If that doesn’t make you enthusiastic to teach, you are in the wrong profession.

Image result for competency
https://flex.wisconsin.edu/blog/competency-based-education-what-it-is-how-its-different-and-why-it-matters-to-you/
Don’t be lame
When you teach interesting material in an engaging way, classroom management takes care of its self. I am not the most creative person in the world by far. However, I have been told that being creative is hard work, and it doesn’t come natural. I have seen this first hand while writing unit and lesson plans over the course of the semester. The great thing is, we are all on the same team. Other teachers are happy to share ideas and examples of what they have found to be successful. Ag educators are not afraid to show you their “playbook.” They will also “coach” you up when you aren’t sure how to manage the “team.”

Organization and Clarity
Students can become uneasy very quickly when they don’t know the who, what, when, where, how, and most importantly why. In the first couple of weeks, we need to establish a normal routine or procedure of operation. This helps the organization and clarity of what is expected. Students that understand and apply the normal operating procedure are less anxious and thus are more comfortable in learning new material. I think it is also important that we give students a voice in operating procedure. Showing students that we can be flexible (within reason) helps develop a higher level of respect in my experiences.

Image result for organization
http://businessofdentistrypodcast.com/?cat=25
Be Personal
This doesn’t mean that we need to be their best friend. This is not what we want at all. We just want our students to see that we care about them and their future. When you establish that professional relationship, students don’t want to disappoint you. Talk to your students. Learn their interests. Encourage them to explore SAEs in that interest area.

Setting a positive classroom environment from the first day will lead to few classroom management problems. Be stern with instruction and set expectations right out of the gate. Know your stuff. Students trust you to provide true knowledge. But, when you don’t know, admit it. Be personal and show your students that you care about their future. Help them be successful. And finally, don’t be the lame teacher. Teach to your students’ interests. Help them with their weaknesses. If we develop the right classroom atmosphere our students will be sure to succeed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matt I totally missed the part about being competent when I completed my reflection. My mind was on other things. I totally get what you mean though. I don't think you have to worry about enthusiasm as much as people are on you. I have been taught by you, and I can say that your calm demeanor has not diminished the lesson. I guess I am pretty worried about content material as well. I think it will come with time thought. You will only need to teach it once to learn it. I should coin that.

    ReplyDelete