Sunday, November 20, 2016

AEE 412: Inquiry-Based Instruction Lab

Wow what an experience! We kicked of the topic of IBI with a visit to Greenwood High School, where we observed Mr. Clark's morning classes. He pushes his students by using effective questioning within IBI.

IBI can be rather intimidating to all teachers, especially teachers with little experience. My lab experience this week will really help me tackle this type of instruction in the future. It is scary. Will students take the right path? Will they question the right things? Will they perform the correct experiments? What are the different possible rabbit trails my students may go on?

Mr. Clark talked with us about the importance of preparation. To be effective using IBI you must condition your mind. You need to know the steps to the scientific method like the back of your hand. You must be able to implement things on the fly.

The big thing is that students are forming the correct conclusions. That is our job as facilitators. This was my largest struggle while conducting the lab. The students didn't do what I was expecting them to do. They took the supplies and conducted experiments that were totally different than what I prepared for. I almost stopped the class and tried to point them in the direction I wanted the lab to go. Seeing the class totally involved and posing totally different questions encouraged me to let them go. If students are posing their own questions and pursuing the answers, learning will take place. Isn't that what we are going for? We just need to oversee the processes of testing hypothesis. Is the experiment a true test of the hypothesis? Are students forming the correct conclusions? We need to avoid false conclusions at all cost. This is really the only way IBI can go wrong.
shutterstock_115238050
shutterstock_115238050

Image result for take the right path
http://www.embracethechaos.com/2015/11/how-to-choose-the-right-path/
I see IBI being a large part of my instruction in the future. It is a great way to stimulate student motivation. It gives them a choice in what they explore.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Matt. I wish you courage in using this in the upcoming semester!

    ReplyDelete