Sunday, October 2, 2016

First Unit Plan Reflection

I won't lie. Before taking on the challenge of writing my first unit plan, I was a bit skeptical of their importance. However, upon completion, I can see their importance in creating an organized system of education. Unit plans are especially important for beginning teachers like myself. Some of my struggles in writing my unit plan consisted of determining how quickly students will learn, establishing challenging but fair goals, and writing clear measurable objectives.
Image result for organization plan
http://www.industryweek.com/strategic-planning-execution/10-principles-organization-design
How much information can I fit into this unit?
When I began writing my first draft, I hard to really start thinking. What is most important for students to learn in these 3 short weeks? I had a lot of ideas, projects, and activities that would promote student growth, however 3 weeks is an extremely short time. I could not even think about covering this much material. The best material was kept and the rest was put aside for another time.

How do I make goals challenging but fair?
It is our job as educators to challenge our students, but when is it too much. Students have so much going on in their lives today. I want to stimulate growth in my students, but not overload them. I understand that not all my students will memorize the FFA Creed, but they will all attempt reciting it.

How do I write clear and measurable objectives? 
My cohort and I have just been instructed on writing lesson plans. This unit plan was the first time I have had to put these objective writing skills to use. When I looked back on my previous objectives, I realized they were assignments and not actually objectives. It is important that we make them easy to read and measure based on the correct criteria.
Image result for clear and measurable
http://www.financialfreedominspiration.com/set-clear-measurable-goals/
Now what?
Everyone says unit plans and lesson plans get easier and easier to write as you gain experience. I hope this is the case because I have many more to write. Unit Plans are very beneficial to my organizational needs and will help me teach with the end goals in mind.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Matt.

    I think the primary benefit is that if you ever get it "right", you have it to replicate in future years instead of trying to remember what happened!

    ReplyDelete