Monday, October 10, 2016

AEE 412 Lab #4: The Problem Solving Approach



So last be we began to explore the world of teaching through real world problems, also known as the problem solving approach. In our lab session, I presented a problem where students were given a certain amount of land and money. It was their job to decide what to do with the land. My students seemed to be very interested in the activity. Many questions were asked and students seemed to be generally excited about the prompt.


Image result for areas for improvement
https://www.orbussoftware.com/blog/improving-enterprise-architectures-return-on-investment/
Some areas for improvement:

Clarity
There was some confusion and fuzziness in the directions that I presented to the students. Posting short clear directions on the board could aid in my clarity of direction. Next time, I will post the directions on the board and explain them explicitly to the entire class. The small class size of our lab helps with clarity for sure. Once students were working on their research, I was able to travel the room and answer questions.

Classroom Management
I really need to apologize to Miranda after failing to defend her not once but twice! The other members of the class are also in our cohort, and it can be difficult to take them seriously. Something negative was said to Miranda. As a future educator I will nip that in the butt very quickly. If that were to happen in a real class I would have reacted totally different.

Providing Resources
I could have also done a better job of showing the students where they can begin. What are some trustworthy websites students can gather information? Who are some reliable contacts in the local community, that are in production agriculture?

Every week I feel that my classmates and I are growing through the lab session. I can see the improvement. Don't get frustrated. Be patient. This is not a sprint. Its a marathon full of real world obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment