Monday, August 29, 2016

SAE Visit: Union County West End Fair Livestock Sale

On August 5th I was invited back to the West End Fair for the 4-H/FFA Livestock Sale. These students must know how to recruit and keep buyers. They had a very good sale with a great price average throughout all species.


Full house of buyers ready to support Mifflinburg 4-H/FFA.
I wanted to focus on meeting more parents and community members during the sale. I bounced around the audience and talked to parents, students, and fair board members. I was surprised just how inviting everyone was. I had actually already met one family way back in April, at the Penn State Club Pig Sale. The student purchased several project animals from the swine barn. (I work at the Penn State Swine Center if you were wondering.) Several animals did not make the weight limit, but every animal that showed up to the fairgrounds was healthy.

Lots of refreshments and treats prepared for the buyers.


Once students get into high school they usually understand the basics of caring for animals, but they need advice from time to time. SAE visits are essential to confirm that all components of the project are sound. It could be checking on how the student gets along with coworkers, how accurate their records are, or if the market steers have water at all times. As agricultural educators it is our responsibility to make sure students are treating both animals and other humans correctly. We are shaping the future of these students. It must be for the good of everyone and everything.

2 comments:

  1. Matt, I had a similar SAE visit in that I went to their fair and got to see how everything was run. Except mine was more focused on what the teachers did and getting to know my students, their projects, and the different things that they learned. I did meet one parent, but looking back, I really wish I met more!

    What I did do, though, was ask my cooperating teacher questions about how she handles visits where she is meeting the parents. I asked her what questions she asks them as well. That was really insightful, even if I didn't personally talk with the parents.

    Glad you got to network and establish those relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great post man! Good pics and the writing is concise.

    Looks like you will have a good time this Spring, it is always a good thing to feel welcomed into a community.

    p.s. if you have time you should show me around the pig barn one day

    ReplyDelete