Sunday, August 28, 2016

AEE 412 Weekly Writing #1: My Major Takeaways

Think of one class you enjoyed throughout your educational career. I'll bet it featured a teacher who knew how to motivate you as a student. This teacher created a positive learning environment, where you were not intimidated by the teacher’s presence. He/She was there to work alongside you and help you develop as an individual. You were not given loads of negative feedback after assignments. Your strengths were appreciated and built on top of.


1) Creating a climate of student growth and ownership
As educators we must understand how our students learn best and create a school environment that pushes them to reach their full potential. According to Jack Elliot and James A. Knight “students perform better in situations where the climate is more positive in nature.” It is important that we set the environment on the first day of school and make sure it remains positive. Students need to feel comfortable in their program before they can really push forward with their education. Students must feel comfortable with the knowledge gained in the classroom and be ready to apply it. At this point students learn that they own their education. Teachers have gotten them this far, but know they can take classroom knowledge and really pursue what they want in life.

2) Improving as an educator
In Effective Teaching: Notes for the Beginning Teacher Paul Vaughn lists the top ten teacher characteristics identified by Rosenshine and Furst.

They are as follows:
Clarity
Variability
Enthusiasm
Tack Oriented/ Business-like Behavior
Positive Reinforcement
Student Opportunity to Learn
Avoided Criticism
Structuring Comments
Effective Questioning
Humor

My areas of improvement need to come in clarity, variability, and structuring comments. As a facilitator I need to develop and communicate more clearly to assure all students are on the right track. 
To accomplish this, I plan to write out my lesson instructions to their entirety and practice. 

I must also develop several different examples or ways to accomplish the task at hand. Some students might understand the first example perfectly; however, others might need to see it done a different way. 
To accomplish this, I will have backup examples waiting in case they are needed.

There are times when my comments come out blunt and to the point. As an educator you must take time to gather your thoughts before commenting.
To Accomplish this, I will focus more on the positives of the experience and not the negatives.

3) Four Stages of Teaching
In Why you need to Succeed on the First Days of School Wong discusses Kevin Ryan’s four stages of teaching. This covers the time period from someone aspiring to be teacher to their students’ achievements.
1. Fantasy
2. Survival
3. Mastery
4. Impact

At this time in my educational career I believe I am transitioning from Fantasy to Survival. So many people have told me that it will be the hardest yet most rewarding year so far. It is not easy being a senior in agricultural education but it is worth it. I have seen this already in my classes during my first week back in school. I am excited to see where this next year takes me.


References:

Agricultural Education Magazine. (2005). Volume 77. Issue 55.

Vaugh, Paul. (n.d.) Efective teaching: notes for the beginning teacher.

Wong, H. Wong, R. (2004). The first days of school: how to be an effective teacher. Harry K. Wong Publications.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for Sharing Matt.

    Hey..think about what you would use from this in the Spring. Maybe a graphic, a catchy title or something that you can quickly use.

    Remember, it is not about summarizing!! It is about your finding themes and connections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Matt! That first paragraph really speaks to me. I feel empowered as a student when a teacher knows and helps me build my strengths, and then can help support and build my weaknesses too!

    I also really like how later in your blog post you talk about ways you can accomplish things in the future. Thats a great way to face and fix problems.

    ReplyDelete