Friday, September 16, 2016

AEE 412 Lab #2: The First Day of School

Hello students and welcome to Mr. Snyder's introduction to agriculture class! So in this week’s lab session we demonstrated what we believe to be a good lesson for the first day of school. As we have discussed in previous reflections and classes, the first class is key in establishing the environment and rapport of the class. 

After gathering feedback and hearing from my peers I have identified 3 areas where I need to improve:

Clarity: I feel that my lesson took off pretty fluidly. Students understood the bellwork and were being productive for the most part. To improve my clarity, I should have posted the day's objectives and discussed them. This will happen for sure next time. The bellwork question cards were handwritten on sticky notes. Next time I will type these out and print so they are easier to read.

Transitions: This piece needs some work. As I began class, I was trying to discuss the bellwork as I was pulling up my video for the interest approach. Students were able to see what I was doing so some got distracted from finishing the bellwork. In the future I need to pull up the video or set up my attention getter before the class even enters the room. I have mixed reviews on the transition questions (from my interest approach to the first activity). I myself thought they were okay, however they can be much better. 

Enthusiasm!: This is possibly the biggest hurdle for myself. I have a very laid back personality that does not convey much enthusiasm to begin with. I feel like I have come a long way with this in the past year. However, my voice is very deep and monotone so even when I am enthusiastic and really trying to excite students there is little to no change in my voice. 


Overall I believe we did a good job as a class. We have established a great place to start building from. With eleven more weeks of hard work, I truly believe we will be ready for the spring.

2 comments:

  1. One thing that I have been reflecting on lately is that we are learning effective teaching principles, not exactly how to teach them. The purpose is not to conform to one teaching style. Being enthusiastic is important but dont think that you have to get up on a chair and shout and all that. There will be students that will like the gregarious teachers as well as students that appreciate your laid back personality. That being said, I think that as we become more comfortable with what we are doing we will organically become more enthusiastic. We just have to get over the nervousness of doing something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michael. There is not one way to be Enthusiastic. I have a strong belief your Enthusiasm will naturally demonstrate them.

    Mr. Cahill is astute to see that we are not trying to program robots, but rather empower individuals to express their own style effectively in the teaching and learning profession.

    DF

    ReplyDelete